Been working on a tricky problem which shows how you have to be methodical to try and find the problem
Our helpdesk database was running very slow
so i upgraded the instance ram – this made loading pages faster but seem to make any writes to the mysql db slower!
Now this is a lightly loaded server so should be lightening fast
I looked at the apache logs – nothing obvious but a couple of errors
I upgraded the system to the latest version – this enabled me to spot the first problem
Schema updates had not been applied – this is fairly painless – take a back up and run
rt-setup-database-4 –action upgrade
This boosted the load times but still did little for the saving
after trailing round the RT forums it occurred to me that there must be a simple solution
I disabled various ad-ons – no real change
Then i realised the problem was SENDING emails – the way its setup it waits for sendmail to send the message BEFORE loading the next webpage
So why was it taking so long to load?
In the end it was our old friend DNS – removed the dead dns server from resolv.conf (which was obviously timing out) and much much faster
With hindsight – it was taking a little while to ssh to the server – this was caused by the same problem, but wasn’t really a problem.
So next time i get slow ssh’s into a server i will remember – check your dns setup!
I could change the configuration to not wait for sendmail to finish – but lets see how it goes…
Troubleshooting the misbehaving website:
rexswain.com http viewer
Troubleshoot MX records:
Track down the random ISP .txt records or the exchange server that will not work remotely….
Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer
IF all else fails … did you check the hosts file??
A classic problem i get asked about a lot: HP Teaming refuses to die!
fixing the network teaming
||Using HP Proliant Support Pack Cleaner v1.1 from
Adding disks to Fujitsu servers
||Fujitsu Disk upgrades with LSI megaraid
After much experimentation the solution I found to do this
Add the additional hard disks on spare sata ports
Boot into the raid configuration and create a new array with the two hard disks
The ui here sucks – you need to press spacebar/enter to select each disk press f10 to create the array – ignore that it says that it will add them to the existing array when you press f10 again it does create a new array make sure to select raid 1 (The default) and ensure you have added both disks
There is no need to initialise the array – if you make a mistake you can delete the new array safely and try again
On reboot boot of an up to date version of acronis to copy the drives and resize
Power off – remove the old disks
Power on – tell megaraid to ignore the drive changes
Check pop3 connector running in services
iisreset at command line
move good email from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking\POP3\Failed Mail
to the above “Incoming mail” directory
wait for pop3 polling (15mins)
Check with user all ok
I enable IT managers to go from crisis management to business development
netsh http show sslcert
This showed me two SSL Certificate bindings. One on IP:Port 0.0.0.0:443 with the correct certificate and one on IP:Port :::443 with an expired certificate. I opened CertMgr.msc for the Local Computer (see here for instructions) and searched for the invalid certificate and discovered it had expired.
To resolve the issue I did the following
netsh http delete sslcert ipport=:::443